Monday, July 15, 2013

Have you lost your mind?

Have you lost your mind?  I've been asked that a few times lately.  The reason?  Robert and I said we would be open to taking siblings groups of 2 or 3 children.  One person said to me "Well if you haven't lost your mind yet, you will if you take 3 kids!"  I laughed, but deep down I wondered if they were right.  Then I thought of my own siblings.

Most of you know that I am #4 in a group of 5 siblings.  I started thinking...how would I be different if I had grown up without them?

My oldest brother, Pat, is 6 years older than me...Pat taught me how to rock out to music, how to "Jump" like David Lee Roth, and how to look out for those younger than me.  I was never worried about anyone messing with me when Pat was around, I knew he would take care of me.  In our adult life, Pat has taught me how to love others regardless of their skin color or where they come from.  He is a father to the fatherless everyday and couldn't love those kids more if they were biologically his.  What a great example for an adoptive parent to have!

Next in line is my brother Todd.  Todd is 4 years older than me.  Todd was the one who, in my rebellious and dramatic teenage years, would always come to my room after I had fought with my parents and make me smile again.  It didn't hurt that he would bring chocolate sometimes too :)  Todd taught me the rules of football and baseball and I always enjoyed going to the movies together too.  He always made me feel that no matter what happened in my life, there was always someone there that loved me and was on my side.

The third child is my sister, Jodi.  Jodi is 2 years older than me.  Jodi and I have always had a strained relationship.  This was never the way I wanted it to be, but how it was none the less.  Even with a distant relationship she has taught me things as well.  She taught me how to fight back and stand up for myself when I needed to.  This has helped me many times in my adult life.  She has taught me forgiveness...not necessarily because she forgave, but because she needed forgiveness.  There were times we were closer and she taught me things like how to tease my hair to get those perfect 80's flips and wings, how to make a mudpie...and the perfect consistency at which to throw it at your brothers, and how to dance like a Solid Gold dancer...hahaha!

The last child in our family is my brother, Adam.  Adam is 5 years younger than me.  When he came along I was not to thrilled to be replaced as the baby of the family.  The first thing he taught me was that dogs, in fact, will not come take a baby away just cause you want them to...hahaha!  (I'm glad they didn't!)  Growing up I was pretty ugly to Adam.  He took some harassment and I beat on him, but he always came back to try again....or to irritate me a little more :-P  As we got older, something happened...I started to enjoy him being around.  I realized that he was actually a pretty funny kid.  We have had so many good times since then just goofing off, singing badly to the radio, laughing at things our parents said (REAGAN DIED!), and just enjoying each others company.  I have got to see him grow into a man who loves his family, loves the teenagers he works with, and loves God.

So why would I not take 3 kids?  How could anyone not want to help children stay together when they have already lost so much?  How would it change their lives and who they will become if they were to be separated?

I am under no illusion that it will be an easy road if we adopt three children.  It won't always be easy with just one either.  God will provide Robert and I with the skills and strength we need to raise the child, or children, He has for us...I do not doubt that!

So, maybe we are a little crazy.  That's ok...it makes life more interesting, and fun.

Seeking Him,

Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment