Thursday, July 11, 2013

An introduction, of sorts

Welcome friends :)

If you know me personally, then you know that our family is currently going through the process of adoption.  I decided to start this blog to keep everyone updated on where we are in the process, some thoughts and feelings we may be having, and things that God is showing us through this process.  

We began this journey in November, 2011.  We attended an orientation meeting with the SC Department of Social Services and signed up for our required training.  Shortly after that meeting, DSS decided to revamp their training locations and schedule.  We were not able to go to training until May, 2012.  During our waiting period, we began to work on necessary paperwork.  We weren't in a great hurry to finish the paperwork since we could not be considered as an adoptive family until training had been completed.  Our plan was to turn in paperwork once the training was completed.  During the training sessions we discovered that we were not given a complete packet at our orientation.  There were more forms to fill out, our entire family had to have physicals, and we had to arrange our home study and fire inspections.  There was more left to do than we realized!

It took several additional months to arrange all the appointments for physicals, fire inspection, DHEC inspection and our home study visits.  We received our official approval from DSS at the beginning of November, 2012 and have been waiting for a placement since that time.

Many have asked us why we want to adopt.  My best answer seems weak...we just want to.  We have talked about adoption our entire marriage, and a few times before we were married.  It has always been something that we have both felt God called us to do.  

Others have asked if we truly think we can love a child (or children) that is not biologically ours just as much as we love our boys.  My answer?  Absolutely!  God made me to be a Mom...it doesn't matter if I carry them in my body or not, my heart will love them just as much.

Many have asked how our boys feel about the adoption.  As with most any child, our boys have questions and concerns.  Will the new child like them?  Where will they stay?  Will Mom and Dad still have enough time for me?  We discuss these things with the boys and try to assure them that things will be okay.  It will be different.  It will, at times, be challenging.  It will be stressful.  IT WILL BE WORTH IT!  

So, where are we now?  We are waiting.  You know, I think God has a quirky sense of humor sometimes.  He knows that I am not the most patient of people when I am waiting.  When Robert and I decided to have our two boys it took about a year and a half before I was expecting (with both of them).  Add to that year and a half the nine months it took for them to be born and you are up to 27 months.  Wouldn't it be just like God to make me wait that long again?  I think so :)  If so, we would have a placement February 2015 (counting from our official approval date).  Hopefully it will be sooner :)

So, I ask that you pray for us.  Pray that I will wait patiently on God's timing.  (Notice how I didn't ask that you pray for patience for me...hahaha!)  Pray that while we wait that our forever child will be safe, loved and protected.  Pray that while we continue to seek the Lord's guidance in this matter that He will make the way clear to us.  Pray that God will give me peace and strength...my heart aches for this child that I haven't met yet...she has already taken a piece of my heart.  

I will strive to post regularly through this process and continue to do so once we have a placement.  Please understand that I cannot and will not share much information about our child before things are finalized.  Some information will not be shared ever...it's their life story and the relaying of that story is up to them.  Legally we are not allowed to post pictures or share their name until they are legally ours.  Just so you know :)

Seeking Him,

Noel 

No comments:

Post a Comment